May 18, 2007

rushing (waves and adrenaline)

I was sort of having a heart attack while standing here. I'm above the very end of Devils Churn. I watched this area for a good 20 minutes before I was willing to hike over the lava rocks to stand here as I'm surrounded by cliff walls on three sides. I knew the tide was going out and I had seen no waves make it even close to this high (and the surrounding area was dry) but if a sneaker wave came in I would obliterated between the ocean and the rocks.

The sound of the waves crashing in these rocks below me was, like anything worth describing, indescribable. It sounded like the deep rolling thunder of an approaching storm, like bombs being dropped a mile away, like an otherworldly implosion of bass and booms. I was enthralled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home