April 30, 2007

11 hours on the mountain makes me sunburned and happy

Hello everyone!

My weekend started early. I had Friday off work. Spring term I’ve been taking a mountaineering class and Friday was our field day on the mountain. We met at Timberline Lodge at 8 AM. Some students (those that had taken winter camping) were already up on the mountain with the instructors for a weekend camping trip. It was a beautiful sunny day on the mountain. We couldn’t have been luckier with the weather. We hiked over to the base camp area then to a gully where we would be doing the bulk of our work that day. We spent a while working on footwork, how to properly walk down a steep snowy slope and up one. We learned how to use ice axes and how to walk in crampons. Self-arrest was one of the most interesting (and intimidating skills). If you begin falling on the mountain first you try to self-belay by jamming your ice axe down into the snow to stop yourself. If that doesn’t stop you must self-arrest (or else you’ll just keep falling and falling). This is the technique of using your ice axe to stop yourself on a fall on a steep slope. We had to practice stopping ourselves from the 4 different positions (because you’ll never know which way you’ll fall): feet first on your back, feet first on your belly, head first on your back and head first on your belly. Head first on your back was the most intimidating as the instructor had to hold your feet so you wouldn’t begin sliding before you lying down all the way. I was able to stop myself successfully (I’m not still up on the mountain falling!). It felt great to be able to do it but hopefully it’s a skill I’ll never have to actually use.

After the self-arrest session we took a break for lunch then it was back to the steep slopes where we learned about anchor building. We then roped up and practiced some roped team traveling using running belays. It was around this time that I started getting cold for the first time. We weren’t moving as much as earlier in the day and the sun had dropped below the trees so my toes started getting cold. Just as we were getting ready to head out the clouds were really thickening up and the wind started blowing hard. I was not envious of the students that were staying on the mountain to camp on the snow. I left Timberline after 11 hours on the mountain, exhausted but very happy for the time spent and all that I learned.

Saturday morning I had to work for about 4 hours as the College was having another FAFSA day to help students with their applications. I was sore and kinda sunburned from the mountain (despite putting on sunscreen 5 times!). After work I returned my crampons that I had rented and stopped at Foti’s Greek Deli for a gyro and some hummus. Later that night I had dinner at Elaine & Gina’s house and then Dave & Elaine & I drove out to Gresham to see our friends, Jimmy and Lincoln, play some live music. I really dislike the venue which is filled with tvs. The music was great though and it was fun to see some of the Trout Lakers that had come down for the show.

Sunday during the day I just read and watched movies. In the evening I went over to Lincoln & Alicia’s house in Sellwood. They were going on a date while I babysat their 6 month old son Chiron. We listened to music and danced in the living room. We investigated plants in the garden then watched the clouds turned pink. We bounced a big yoga ball and made funny faces in the mirror. I read my book to him. It was really fun and he was a great baby. The last ten minutes he started crying and there was nothing I could do to soothe him. Just then Mom and Dad returned and all was right with the world. I hung out and we played a game of Phase 10, chatting and drinking beers while listening to Sharon Jones tear up the hi-fi.

So that was my weekend (two weekends ago). Hey! I’m almost caught up!

xoxo,
carolyn

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

You, my friend, KNOW HOW TO LIVE!!! What a glorious photo essay. Can't wait for the rest of your adventures in mountaineering. You amaze me all the time.
xoxo
B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home