February 08, 2007

beginnings and endings

Hello everyone!

I had a great weekend! Friday was Camille’s birthday so we left early with Gina to head out to Bonneville Hot Springs Resort in the Gorge. This is a far fancier place than Carson, where Gina and I had gone the weekend before. Still it was only $30 for a 25 minute soak in the mineral hot springs and a 25 minute wrap. We checked in and were given robes and went to the locker room to put our stuff away. The three of us were in a room together with privacy screen between the tubs. There were beautiful big claw foot bath tubs. The bath attendant filled the tubs and put out little cups of grapes and glasses of cold water with lemon for each of us. We each climbed into our tubs and marveled at how silky soft the water was. They also must do something to the mineral water here because it has none of that sulphur/rotten egg smell. It was wonderfully relaxing. After the soak we went into a dimly lit room where we each were wrapped in blankets and relaxed for another twenty five minutes. We showered then made a beeline for the restaurant as we were all hungry. Lunch was very satisfying and we drove back to Portland feeling calm and happy. I spent the afternoon reading my book and watching Netflix.

In the evening I went over to Gina house and her, Scott & I went to Ichidai for sushi. The sushi was sublime as always. Scott enlightened us of the way of the sake bomb which we grudgingly participated in. Afterwards we drove downtown where Camille was having a gathering of friends to continue the birthday celebration. We parked and walked to the Rialto. Gina and Scott played pool and I spent the night yakking away with friends.

Saturday morning I ate breakfast, showered then went to meet Jess. We had plans to ride the new tram and then possibly go kayaking with her fiancé, Mike. After several unusually cold and sunny weeks, the rain had returned. I had wanted to ride the tram for the sole purpose of the amazing views of the city and the mountains. The tram was just opened and connects the south waterfront of the Willamette River to OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) at the top of the hill. Jess works at OHSU so I can ride the tram for free with her. With the cloudy, rainy weather we decided to scrap the tram and the kayaking. The idea of floating down the very cold Clackamas River while very cold rain fell on us was decidedly unpleasant. Instead we got coffee at Peet’s on Hawthorne where we sat and chatted for a long time. I dropped off Jess at Mike’s house before heading home myself. I spent the afternoon reading and watching Netflix.

In the evening Gina and I hung out playing cards and watching terrible movies (Legally Blonde & Overboard). Gina gave herself a headache by reading a slow cooker cookbook for hours, calling out delicious recipes and their ingredients. She decided to make a few for the Super Bowl the next day and to stop looking any further. She fell asleep during SNL and drove the few blocks home.

Sunday morning I got a call that I had been dreading. Dave had come back Saturday from Trout Lake because his dog Daisy had become lethargic and unresponsive. He took her to an animal hospital in Portland where they could barely detect her blood pressure. They put her on IVs but Dave said then that if she didn’t improve by the next day he was going to have her put to sleep. Gina called me Sunday morning to tell me that Daisy was gone. I cried in my bed. Daisy was the best dog ever (in my world. I hope you all have your own best dog ever in your world.). She was 12 years old and loved by many many people. I took a long hot shower then went over to Elaine & Gina’s. We prepared some snacks while Gina got her recipes going in the slow cookers. Riley, Elaine’s dog, was acting strangely for hours. He sat in the sunny front room and made weird little barks. I was convinced he was talking to Daisy who was making the rounds, saying goodbye to all her friends. Daisy and Riley had lived together for two years. When Elaine came home Riley was especially needy, until Elaine finally sat on the floor and let him cuddle with her. Dogs know.

It was a beautiful sunny day and significantly warmer than it’s been lately. The birds were all atwitter in the trees and I smiled at the thought of spring. We watched the Super Bowl. I was rooting for the Bears. They were my first team that I ever rooted for. When I was in the 4th grade and living outside of Chicago I watched all the games with my dad, my first full season of football ever. I even joined in his company’s football pool. Of course that was the year the Bears one the Super Bowl. Mom & Dad still have our old 45 of the Super Bowl Shuffle. It was sloppy game in the rain with lots of turnovers and even the commercials weren’t all that entertaining. Gina’s Turkey Mexicali followed coconut rice pudding was absolutely delicious. I was sent home with leftovers. I’m so lucky!

So that was my weekend. Please let me know how you are and what you’ve been up to.

xoxox,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home