December 12, 2006

the Inn is ending

Hello everyone!

I had another really fun weekend up in Trout Lake. I left work early so I could drive up the Gorge during the daylight. It was very windy and starting to rain/freeze a bit so I was happy to get there early. I arrived at Wampler’s house but he wasn’t back yet from his week on the Oregon coast. I brought my stuff inside, including my boxes of photo cards and 8 x 10 prints that Wamp’s going to be selling on his website. The site should be live by the end of the week. I’ll send an announcement.

I then went over to Danny & Gregg’s house where Kelly and Amberly where hanging out. We all drove back down the mountain and over the Columbia to Hood River where we went to a potluck at a friend’s house. There was tons of good food including bacon pumpkin pie (savory sweet perfection)! After eating we did the white elephant gift exchange. I ended up with some eucalyptus oil and a swim cap. On the drive back up to Trout Lake we had to stop for 7 deer in the road and one huge elk. I didn’t think they’d be so active at 1 AM.

Saturday morning I was surprised to see it was snowing when I opened the blinds. The forecast had called for ice pellets (ouch) but instead we got several inches of fresh snow. Wampler started preparing a turkey to put in the oven. He wrapped in bacon, a technique he’d seen on a cooking show as a way to prevent the skin from overcooking. I spent the afternoon inputting some information on the Lucky Planet website then I went outside to play in the snow. Amberly and Kelly were working on a beautiful snow sculpture of a whale. I got to see them put on the finishing touches including an icicle for a tusk turning it into a narwhal. It was quite impressive. Dave and Gina arrived from Portland and Gina and I took a walk down the snowy road. The mountain was socked in but it sure was lovely out with all the snow. Back at Wampler’s house the turkey was out of the oven and being carved. He made fantastic mashed potatoes with regular potatoes, sweet potatoes & cream cheese and sour cream. Creamy and delicious! After dinner I went in the sauna with Danny & Kelly. We used some of the eucalyptus oil I’d gotten at the previous night’s party in the water we used to steam up the place. When it’d get too hot I would go outside and jump in the snow. I screamed then noticed that the stars were out. I gathered up a big pile of snow to bring back in the sauna to cool us down. The sauna at Wampler’s is such a treat.

After taking a quick shower I was ready to head up to the Inn so I caught a ride with Jason. The Trout Lake Country Inn is closing after New Years. The owner of the building is not renewing Jimmy & Andrea’s lease and has put the building up for sale. The price is $300,000 and the hundred year old building needs some major work. It is also a registered historic building so that further complicates the matter. Saturday night they had a big bbq and music all night, one of the last big bashes at the Inn. I spent the night talking with friends, listening to music, dancing and taking tons of photos. Dave and Wampler and the guys all played for a long time as did Jimmy. I’m going to miss this place so much. I’ll be back up for New Years which will really be the end of the end of the Inn.

I rode back to Wampler’s house with Camille and Gina after getting Matt Robb to help us push the car out of the slick snow. We all piled into Wampler’s house. In the morning some more friends came over and we cooked up a huge breakfast (eggs and potato pancakes). Gina and I packed up our stuff and after Wampler did some shoveling in his driveway we were able to head home. The roads were clear and it was an easy drive home. At Gina’s house I got my photos off my camera then ate some calzone that Elaine had just made. Cheesy delicousness! I spent the rest of the day reading my book and watching netflix.

So that was my weekend! Please let me know how you are and what you’ve been up to and how you are!

xoxo,

carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home