January 03, 2005

Christmas in Canada

Hello all! I've enjoyed my time off work. A girl could really get used to that kind of vacation. I'll start with my Christmas and do a second blog for the rest of my time off. On Christmas Eve Matt dropped me off at the Union Station to catch my train. This was my first time taking the train and I really loved it. It follows along Puget Sound for a long, beautiful stretch. I watched the herons on the water's edge and the mist on the island hills. dreamy! I read my book and listened to my headphones and soaked it all in. We stopped at the train station in Seattle for an hour or so. I talked to my sister, parents, brother and greta. All these phone calls were necessary because I learned that Sara & I would be spending Christmas in Canada! The train was late getting into to Bellingham so Sara and I decided to head north the next morning. We opened one gift that evening as is our family's tradition.

The next day we had our coffee and headed north. First we stopped in the border town of Blaine to visit with our Aunt Liz. She is staying at my grandparents' house while they are in Arizona for the winter. I have very fond childhood memories of that house. We hung out in the living room and chatted with Liz's boyfriend and took some photos. From there we crossed the border into Canada and it's just a short ways to Vancouver. We stopped for some lunch (vietnamese pho for christmas lunch!) and then went to my sister's friend's house.

I'd met Raj just once last winter. I was so happy to be invited to spend Christmas with her and her family. She has 3 children: a 12 year old boy, a 9 year girl and a 6 month old baby named Ariana. Sara's roommate, Micah, was also up for the holiday. We had a great time hanging out, playing with the kids, watching Lord of the Rings. That evening we went over to Christmas dinner at Dex's Mom's house. Dex lives with Raj and is Ariana's father. Canadians are so damn nice! They are very laid back and welcoming. I felt strange at first being in this woman's house for Christmas dinner but everyone was so friendly and happy to have us. After dinner the kids tore open their gifts from grandma which is always fun to watch.

We spent Sunday preparing for the big dinner that Raj was hosting that night. We cooked a monstrous feast which is always fun. Between 15-20 people ate dinner and we had a great time. Monday we lounged about and then did some post-dinner clean up. Sara & I headed back to the US in the evening. We ordered take-out & watched a movie with Micah before bedtime and an early trip back to the train station. I finished my book on the train ride home. Anna Karenina died on the train tracks! I made it home just in time for Tuesday dinner at Elaine & Gina's house. Gina showed me her new digital camera and then they suprised me with a christmas gift....gina's "old" digital camera. Omigoodness! I am in love with this thing. I can stop spending so much money on film and developing and can really go crazy taking lots and lots of pictures.

I had a great time with my sister up in Vancouver. Her friends there are so hilarious and kind and the kids were so fun to hang out with. I fell in love with baby Ariana. I can't wait to take the train up again (armed with my digital camera)and visit Sara again. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! Please let me know what you did!

xoxo,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home