November 22, 2004

bare branches

Hello everyone!

The rain has brought down much of the fall leaves leaving bare branches against a gray sky. There are those strange trees though that don't lose their leaves and the ever-present evergreens. I love the mossy green of Oregon winters.

Friday evening I was able to hang out with Dan and Melissa. They were in town from Minneapolis (hey...didn't I just see you!) so I was happy to get together with them. They spent they day with a bunch of hunters on the south side of Mt St Helens. In the evening they came over to my apartment. From there we drove to Pix Patisserie where Dan's friend, Sara, is a manager. We had beautifully decadent desserts and beers. Sara joined us along with her husband (both wisconsinites!). From there we headed out to the Sapphire Hotel for some beer, shmancy drinks, coffee and talk of frontline, wisco, old friends and gw. It was really great to see Dan & Melissa again so soon. the extravagance of airplanes is wonderful!

Saturday I found my way to the Red Cross in North Portland where I had an appointment to donate platelets. The process is long and involves a needle in each arm. I got to choose a movie (Royal Tenenbaums) and was covered in a big cozy comforter to stay warm. There was a incident where the nurse spilled my blood all over my hand & the floor (!!!) and I did get a bruise on one of my arms but otherwise all was fine. Since they have no way of storing platelets they will be given to someone by Thanksgiving. I'm a platelet factory!

I was feeling a little spacey post-donation so went home to eat. I took it easy in the afternoon reading (anna karenina) & watching netflix (six feet under). I talked on the phone with Camille (*hugs and kisses*)for some time. In the evening I went over to Gina's house where we watched Old School. Gina whipped up some ravioli for dinner. We went to my house & dropped my car off & walked down to the Watertrough on Hawthorne. We played shuffleboard (the kind with the long wooden table, not on the floor) and gina beat me. Gina played some pool and beat that guy too. I hadn't played shuffleboard since the Silver Dollar in Madison! I love it though my technique definitely needs improvement.

Sunday I volunteered at the musuem. There were a lot of volunteers there so we had time to take turns going through some of the exhibits. I checked out an exhibit of Dutch painters on loan from Holland. In the afternoon I watched 28 Up. It's series of documentaries that follows a group of children from different backgrounds in England starting when they are 7. They check in on them every 7 years. it goes all the way up to 42. I was suprised to see that one of them at the age of 28 was living in Madison WI! small world! I spent the evening reading my book.

So let me know what you've been doing! I hope all is well and you all have a great Thanksgiving weekend! Let me know what your plans are!

xoxo,
carolyn

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

Miss C,Loving your photo-blog...wish you had a pic of the tofurkey. I understand they are just a ball? Why don't they put the tofu into a turkey-shaped mold? Make it a little more authentic....
xo
B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home