November 17, 2004

5 nights in Minneapolis

Hello hello!

I had a wonderful long weekend visit to Minneapolis. First of all I must give huge thanks to Elaine and Gina for sending me off with one of their digital cameras thus enabling my photo mania. As my flight left Portland Thursday morning there were incredible mountain views including steam drifting away from the ever-active Mt St Helens. I arrived in the evening and Greta picked me up from the airport. We went back to her and Adam's home but they had to leave for a sold-out Pixies concert (oooooohhh how I wish I had a ticket). Erin, a former Madison roomie of mine who had just recently moved from Milwaukee to Minneapolis, picked me up. We swung by her apartment and then went out for a drink at a Bar Abilene. It was great to catch up with her and I'm excited for her new move to a new city.

Friday Greta & I stopped for breakfast at a cafe. I got the eggspresso (eggs made with the steam from the espresso machine and served in a big coffee cup). We stopped at Fun Sisters, a shop full of knock off bags & cheap jewelry. Greta got gold eyeliner and I scored a mood bangle (it changes color according to my manymany moods HA! oh and how cold or warm I am). We drove to Lake Harriet and walked around the Linden Hills neighborhood stopping in shops & getting a scoop of ice cream. We took some nice pictures along the lake too. We also stopped at the Stone Arch Bridge. It goes over the Mississippi and has a great view of downtown. Later we met up with Adam down at his office at the university and walked to a nearby bar, the kitty cat club, for happy hour. Greta who is 6 months pregnant enjoyed some fine sparkling water while Adam and I scored two beers for the price of one. We had fabulous burgers at Chatterbox and then went home and watched the hilarious movie Saved! Adam introduced me to his invention, the frisky! Made from fresca & whiskey-what's not to love!

Saturday was another lovely day of blue sky and sun. We drove out to the Arboreteum where we walked around for hours. There was a beautiful prairie with gnarled twisted oaks, a greenhouse with lush hibiscus blossoms, and many many sections divided by types of trees (weeping, birch, crabapple, shade). There was also a hedge disply, a rose garden, ponds (with a thin sheet of ice over it already!) and a bog (yes a blog about a bog). It was really beautiful out & we really enjoyed exploring. From there we went to a dog park along the Mississippi River where Lucy romped in the water and ran wild in the woods. At home Adam, a fine cook, made a fabulous meal of pasta with vodka sauce. That night we drove to St. Paul to a club called Turf Club where the Ashtray Hearts (populated with assorted old friends from middle/high school)played. There were lots of old friends there and the show was tons-o-fun and packed. Greta and I took pictures in the photo booth in the club(using my camera as the booth was out of order) and then we stopped for tacos on the way home.

Sunday was greta's baby shower. Jess hosted and there was a gaggle of ladies there and a baby (Juniper Grace)to capture everyone's attention. We snacked and played some games (celebrity baby names & identify the disgusting baby food game). Greta got some great baby stuff including a vintage mobile, baby's first manicure set and a beautiful baby quilt made by her mama. From the shower we picked up Greta's husband and headed to St Paul to watch the packers/vikings game with a room full of packer backers. They won! The moms (adam's & greta's) met us there and we went out for Thai food before they droved back to Wisco. Back at the Pagel homestead we watched a movie (Before Sunset) and I loveloveloved it. sigh

Monday Greta dropped me off at Betsy's apartment so she could squeeze in a few hours of work. Betsy and I drank coffee and talked. We walked around Uptown & stopped in book stores & thrift shops before meeting Greta for lunch. After lunch we decided to take the new light rail downtown. We shopped & got coffee & I got my photo taken with the Mary Tyler Moore statue! It was back to the Pagels' for dinner, a stupendous meal whipped up by Adam. We had pork loin with mashed potatoes and carrots and sweet potatoes.....mmmmm! It was a lovely dinner with Adam & Greta, Betsy & Ross and myself.

It was so so lovely to spend time with so many old friends. Greta is glowingly gorgeous in her pregnancy and I'm so happy to have been able to spend time with her during this short window of wonder. I cannot wait to meet their child. They're waiting until the birth to find out the sex.

I am so excited for what's still to come and so happy for my time with my friends. I feel so very lucky to know such thoughtful and talented people and especially blessed that we've maintained our friendships despite time and great distance. they are so quick to offer hugs and meals and books and their time and care. they make my heart grow bigger.

xoxo,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home