November 14, 2007

pacific stormy


pacific stormy, originally uploaded by carolyn_in_oregon.

I woke up at 4 am thinking the windows were going to blow in at the beach house I was staying at in Newport. The storm had finally rolled ashore with some fierce winds (gusts of 92 mph at Cape Meares!). By the afternoon it was calming down enough for me to make the drive back to Portland.

I stopped in Depoe Bay where the waves were smacking into the sea wall and splashing up onto Hwy 101 and high high high in the air. I also stopped at Boiler Bay which has a nice a high viewpoint above the water. I was out of my car for only a minute with the rain stinging me as the wind whipped it onshore. I tried to take some pictures of the huge waves crashing onto the rocks but the weather was just too horrible. Lastly I stopped here, the calm waters of protected Siletz Bay. The seagulls here were hovering in place in the sky, amazing in the strong winds.

A stormy end to my wonderful long weekend on the Oregon coast.

This is a color photograph of a very gray day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home