August 28, 2007

the Frizbee Minors brings us horses and fresh snow!

Hey everyone!I had a wonderful weekend in Trout Lake. It had been a month since I’d been there so I was definitely craving some time there. Gina and I drove up Friday afternoon. We stopped at Wampler’s house and then hung out at Abe and Jenny’s house for a bit before driving down the final bit of gravel road to the huge field where we’d be camping. When we arrived there was only Matt and 3 horses in the field. We all set up our tents and pulled out our chairs to enjoy the sunshine and the incredible view of Mt Adams. Eventually the horses wandered over by us and all got acquainted. They were huge and gentle with soft muzzles that we all loved to touch. The tried to munch on our camping chairs, took a poop 2 feet from my tent door (thank goodness for shovels!) and got really interested when Matt ate a salad. After a while the horses had grown bored with us and wandered over to far end of the field. As more campers arrived the owners moved the horses to their own field. Later in the evening we walked over to Abe and Jenny’s property. A bunch of friends were gathered there, hanging out and listening to music. Some young kids showed up drinking and were asked to leave. On their way out they started a small fire in the long grass beneath Nate’s truck (Nate being the one to ask them to leave). Sarah saw them start the fire and put it out. Abe and Jenny called the cops who eventually showed up and took a report on the kids. Starting fires in extremely dry fields is not only stupid, it’s criminal. I went back to my tent before the cops showed up and don’t know if the kids were ever caught.

The next morning we made coffee and enjoyed the warm sunshine. A bunch of us sat around in the field watching people throw Frisbees and footballs while the huge mountain loomed in the distance. Rowan, Ken’s son, was fascinated by the crazy amounts of grasshoppers in the field and set to work trying to catch some. The guys motivated to head over to the Frisbee golf course while I stayed behind to hang out in the field more. Ben cooked up a big skillet of breakfast yummies (eggs, potatoes, veggies, sausage) in his little trailer. It was delicious! I read my book for awhile (the final Harry Potter) before finally walking over to check out the Frisbee golf tournament. I headed for the tequila table which was a good place to hang out and watch the groups roll through. At the make your own quesadilla both (salsa provided by me) I made a cheesy spicy quesadilla and hung out talking with friends. Amberly was there with little Oren, the baby made famous for being born at the Frizbee Masters. Actually Amberly left the Masters in the middle of the night and gave birth at a midwife’s house in Salem. He’s a cute little babe and it was great to see Amberly again.

I walked back over to my tent and read my book and napped for a bit before heading over with Gina to Wampler’s house so we could each take a shower. Jay had driven up from Portland and met us there. We all headed back over to the field where we hung out, tossing Frisbees and watching the clouds thicken over the mountain. We walked back over to the barn where the bbq was and where the music would be for the night. We got our burgers and ate on the steps going up to the stage. Alexa played first. It was great to see Steve and Kelly on stage accompanying her. During the end of her set Lincoln arrived. There was some question as to whether or not he would come up to Trout Lake though he and Jimmy were scheduled to play. Earlier in the week Lincoln’s son, Chiron, was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. I spoke with Alicia while they were staying in the hospital and heard her transform from frustrated and scared to calm and accepting. Once they had a diagnosis they at least knew what they were dealing with and how to go forward. The word had traveled fast around Trout Lake so Lincoln was greeted with a receiving line of friends giving him hugs. He and Jimmy played their set, the beautiful mandolin and their great voices. I hung out with Lincoln for a little bit after their set but he then headed back to Portland to be home with his family after their stressful week.

Abe’s band, Maggie’s Choice played next with lots of dancers on the floor and Abe still wearing a green suit from the golf course. Jim the Bad Goat played last. Those boys take forever to set up but put on a great show once they start playing. We walked back to our campsite in the field with drizzle falling in the dark. In the middle of the night I woke up to rain falling hard on my tent. Thank goodness for a good rainfly!

Sunday morning I woke up and looked out my tent to see Mt Adams with a thick layer of fresh snow, all the way down to timberline. I couldn’t believe there was snow falling on the mountain in August! I read my book in my tent for a long time and finally got up to make myself some coffee. We all threw the Frisbee for a while. Jay is an ultimate Frisbee player, not a disc golfer so he had a disc you could actually catch. Disc golf Frisbees are painful to try to catch! Ben made breakfast again, eggs and cheese over toast, and again it was delicious. After hanging out for a while I went back to my tent and read more Harry Potter. I packed up all my stuff and drove over to Abe and Jenny’s house where people were gathered. I talked with friends for a while, ate a hot dog from the grill before heading back to Portland finishing Harry Potter (before anyone could spoil it!). So that was my weekend. Please let me know how you are and what you’ve been up to!
Xoxo,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home