May 24, 2007

I keep finding myself at Mt Tabor

Hello everyone!I had a nice weekend in town. Friday night I just stayed home and watched movies and read my book. After being beautiful and sunny all weekend it began rainy Friday evening so I was happy I had gotten out earlier in the week, including some wonderful little hikes in the Gorge.

Saturday morning I talked with Nandita on the phone for a long time which is always great. Then I went down to Hawthorne where I picked up some fresh pasta at Pastaworks and stopped in Powells to buy a couple books. I went to Mt Tabor from there where I walked up to my favorite sequoia, perched above the lower reservoir and sat in the sun. I stopped home for a bit before heading over to Elaine’s house. I helped her pick up the house and we did some prep work for dinner as we were expecting a mob later that evening. Indeed lots of friends began showing up starting with Andrea and Jimmy down from Trout Lake with a truckload of firewood. We’ve been loving the fires in the backyard chiminea so the huge pile of wood was a welcome sight. We hung out on the big porch while Elaine grilled up some bacon-wrapped asparagus. It is freaky good. A little later we shucked some fresh oysters which we ate raw on the half shell. Elaine had bought them at the farmer’s market downtown. They come from Netarts Bay on the Oregon coast and are amazingly delicious. As more and more people showed up we moved to the backyard where Elaine started a little fire in the chiminea and Jimmy practiced his frisbee golf putting with the backyard basket. Elaine and I went inside to finish cooking dinner: flat iron steak on the grill, fresh pasta with alfredo and steamed broccoli and a huge Caesar salad. Their huge dining room table was crammed with people. The meal was fantastic (as always!) and no one left hungry.

After some speedy cleanup we caravanned and carpooled down to the World Famous Kenton Club in North Portland. It’s just a bar with a little stage and isn’t even famous in Portland much less around the world. Dave was playing music there with his band Jim the Bad Goat. Their shows are always a great time. Kelly kicked off her shoes and danced, we all sang along and had a great night. It was a late night when we got back to Elaine’s house. Jimmy tried to get me to stay to play some cards but I was ready for sleep.

Sunday was a rainy day which I spent inside watching Netflix, reading my book and making tons of photo cards. In the evening it began clearing up and I decided to go to Mt Tabor to watch the sunset. The huge clouds hanging above downtown got blown away by the wind and then turned cotton candy pink. From there I stopped by Elaine’s house to get my photos off my camera then I went home for the night.

So that was my weekend. I’m leaving tomorrow to go to Newport again, this time with Gina who just got back from her first ever trip to New York. I’m looking forward to the beach again. Mark’s house, where I stay, will be rented out all summer so I’m happy to get my time in there while I can. It’s a beautifully sunny day here in Portland today with a little morning cloud cap hanging on to the top of Mt Hood. I hope you all have a great weekend! Please let me know how you are and what you’ve been up to!
xoxo,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home