November 22, 2006

the mountains of Oregon to the art of Egypt

Hello everyone!I had a lovely weekend. Friday evening Gina and I headed up to Mt Hood where we spent the night at Sarah’s family cabin, just past the town of Rhododendron at about 2,000 feet elevation. Gina and Sarah are old friends but this was my first time at the cabin so I was really excited about it. Sarah and her husband, Joe, were there along with Diana. Sarah’s sister, Rachel, and her boyfriend, Dave, showed up a little bit later with Sarah & Rachel’s dad, Ricky. We all gathered around the big woodburning stove in the kitchen and talked and drank some Jim Beam. We played cards and ate popcorn (mmmm with yeast) and then we all piled in the living room to watch King Kong. I watched about 45 minutes before falling asleep.

Saturday morning we woke up and Gina and I made ourselves coffee and packed up lunches for the day. Ricky cooked us up some eggs and then we hit the road. We continued driving up the mountain to Trillium Lake. We parked at the sno-park then snowshoed down to the lake, about a mile. The snow was pretty crunchy and there were tire tracks without snow from the park ranger so we decided to just walk the loop around the lake rather than snowshoeing. It’s been dumping snow up there this week so I’m sure it’s perfect for snowshoeing again. We stopped along the lakeshore and took pictures of the big mountain at the end of the lake. The surface of the lake was frozen over with just a thin layer of ice. On the other side of the loop we came to Summit Meadow. The Oregon Trail crossed through this meadow as it came over the Cascade mountains. There are even a couple gravestones for people that died here while making the journey. We finished up the loop and hiked back up to the car and drove back to Portland. We were home in less than an hour. I love having the mountain so close!

We each went home and showered then I went back to Gina’s house and we drove down to Romo’s, a Mexican restaurant on Hawthorne. mmmm cheesy goodness! We went back to her house to watch a movie. Gina got The Breakup from On Demand and we agreed half way through that it was truly awful. AWFUL!

Sunday I woke up and worked on making photo cards. I left around 11:15 to head downtown for my volunteer shift at the Portland Art Museum. That is a sure sign that summer is OVER when I’m back at the museum on Sundays. The museum was extremely busy. They have an amazing Egyptian exhibit up now. When my volunteer shift was over I grabbed one of the audio guides and went through the exhibit myself. It’s quite large and full of incredible artifacts: jewelry, sculptures, mummy masks and sarcophaguses (sarcophagi? hahaa). There is an entire burial chamber that has been reconstructed. It was amazing to listen to the audio guide explain the different drawings around the room which coincided with the hours of the day and the sun. After I finished the exhibit I drove home where I worked on making a zillion more cards. The website will be up soon. I will definitely be sending out a big announcement when it’s live.

So that was my weekend. Please let me know how you are and what you’ve been up to!

xoxox,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home