February 27, 2006

casablanca, windy golf and choosing twenty songs

Hello everyone! I had a really nice, relaxing weekend. Friday night I stayed in and watched movies. First I watched Casablanca which I'd had from Netflix for over a month (a procrastination record for me!). I did enjoy it. Humphrey Bogart's got lots of great lines and it was worth it just to put all the famous quotes together. While I was watching I made a bunch of photo cards, mostly of Mt Adams as I'm going to try to sell them to other shops up in Trout Lake. There's an inexplicable shortage of photos of Mt Adams available to be purchased. The forgotten mountain...

After Casablanca Camille joined me to watch Nine Lives, a movie about nine different women's lives which of course end up weaved together. Some of them were just brutal and I was hoping for something less painful to watch. The one with Robin Wright-Penn was definitely my favorite. She runs into her old boyfriend at the grocery store and her whole life is thrown into chaos within five minutes. I read my book for a while and went to bed at a reasonable time as I had Saturday morning plans.

Saturday I woke up & showered then stopped by my local coffee shop for coffee & a croissant sandwich before going to Elaine & Dave's house. The three of us drove out to Dabney and met up with Gina & John for some frisbee golf. Elaine & Dave were inspired and had woken up at 6 am to go play a round at Pier Park so this was their second round of the morning. It was definitely colder & windier than any of expected as the "partly cloudy" forecast was in fact "entirely cloudy". At Hole 4 we came across a pussy willow tree which Elaine & Gina descended upon like adorable little girls. They rubbed them on their faces and put them in their hair and the jokes were abundant. John brought along his garden shears and performed course maintenance through out the game by cutting down unruly blackberry canes. Wind was definitely a factor in this game with the best bet being to aim low. Dave was having an incredible games with lots of monster throws. At the very last hole each of us actually had our discs fly BACKWARDS as the wind was so strong. hahaaaaa...we were done just in time!

We left Dabney and tried to go eat at the McMenamin's Edgefield but the line was much too long and we were much too hungry. We hit it back to Portland and ate lunch at the always fast, cheap and tasty El Burrito Loco. I went back to Elaine's to get my pictures of my camera and edit them. Elaine was watching Top Gun on tv and I had to leave because I've seen that movie much too many times. I can recite all the lines before they say them (why why why??). I went home and walked in my front door to find Camille watching Top Gun too! ahhhahhahaa! I went into my room and read for a while (still working on One Hundred Years of Solitude) then I napped which I don't do very often. Sigh...very wonderful and cozy in my bed with the down comforter and my purple blanket crocheted by my mama. I woke up & read some more then got up and made some photo cards while I watched some episodes of Sex & the City. Later that night I went down to one of our neighborhood bars to meet Camille. We had some beers and talked and laughed about all sorts of ridiculous things. I left after two beers at which point Camille was promptly hit on by obnoxious men accompanied by a catty girl who after Camille shot him down said "Who sits by themselves?!?" sheesh!

Sunday I woke up and read for a while then made some coffee & read the Sunday paper. In the afternoon I went over to Elaine's house where I changed the music on my mp3 player and made several mix cds for some friends. I stayed for dinner with them...roasted chicken sandwiches and homemade macaroni & cheese with bacon on the top. mmmmmcheesy baked goodness! Back at home I watched Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride (meh) while I made more photo cards. I'm running low on some supplies so I'm at a standstill until I can get to the paper store. Inspired by my mix cd making I listened to music for several hours and I'm determined to make more cds for more people. I read for a long time then went to bed early, determined to not be sleepy when my Monday morning alarm went off at 6 am.

So that was my weekend. I'm excited to spend next weekend at the coast at Mark's house in Newport while he's out of town. I'm looking forward to tidepools and hazelnut brown ale and the cobble beach at Yaquina Head and a mexican mocha from that ice cream shop of all places. I may end up going by myself but I don't even mind. It will be lovely to just spend a whole weekend at the beach. I suspect I'll take too many pictures and finish my book. I'm happy and lucky and looking forward to the return of sunshine and leaves on the trees and flip flops and daily bbqs and waking up in my tent somewhere. Summer can't be here soon enough for me.

Please let me know how you are and what you've been up to!

xoxo,
carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home