April 18, 2005

the end of an era

Hello everyone!

My weekend started off pretty horrible. On Friday morning I took Fluffy to the Humane Society where I had her put to sleep. I've had Fluff since I was 12 years old so she's been my companion for a very long time. She was about a year old when we got her so she was going on 18 years old....a very old lady cat. She had kidney problems which lead her to drink a lot more water than normal and thus go to the bathroom a lot more often...unfortunately she was getting too old and tired to always make it to the litter box every time. It was such a hard decision which I'd been facing for a long time. I called Mom before I left and she made me feel better. She also told me the Egyptian symbol for joy was a basketful of kittens. (awwww Mom!)

Elaine picked me up as I didn't think I could drive myself there and back. We brought Fluff in and they asked me some questions. I took her out of her carrier and held her and told her I loved her and thanked her for being such a good kitty to me for so long and that I would see her again. I put her back in her carrier, asked Elaine to put her up on the counter and we left. I cried and cried and felt just horrible. When I got home I cleaned up Fluffy's litter box (I had donated all of her food and other stuff to the Humane Society). I took a long, hot shower and then fully expected Fluffy to be standing outside the bathroom door like she always was. I suspect I'll keep "seeing" her out of the corner of my eye for some time. I'm so sad to not have my kitty anymore. I won't be getting another cat anytime soon since Camille, my roommate, is allergic to cats. It really is the end of the era. We'd lived in 3 states together and slept together countless nights. I do miss Fluffers.

I took the day off of work on Friday so I could deal with all of this. In the afternoon I met up with Elaine again and she treated me to sushi for lunch at Ichidai. We went back to her house and watched a movie. Later we met up with Gina at Thatchers for some beers before going back to their house to make dinner. I went home early and slept hard. Fluffy was in my dream just hanging out next to me.

Saturday I watched a documentary in the morning called "The Corporation". It was very disturbing. So corporations have been given the rights of a person though if they were a person they have all the personality traits of a pyschopath. yikes.

In the afternoon Gina and I went to Goodwill to search for hideous ugly clothes. We're going to the Frisbee Masters (for frisbee golf) in a few weeks and ugly polyester clothing is required on the course. We also stopped by the paper store so I could buy more supplies for making cards. We stopped at a tavern on Hawthorne for a beer and a few rounds of Ms Pacman. Gina whooped me since she's a Pacman expert.
Back at her house we made yummy spaghetti for dinner and watched GlobeTrekker on tv. We then went down to a bar I'd never been to before called the A & L with a group of friends to play darts and pool. I didn't feel like staying out late so I was home early and in bed.

Sunday I got an early call from Elaine inviting me to go frisbee golfing. Elaine, Dave and I drove out to McIver state park where we met up with Bryan and John. The park is huge and the Clackamas River runs through part of it. We all worn rain gear (which for me included snowboarding pants...hey my legs were warm and dry!). We got sprinkled on then the sun shined down on us then it was a torrential downpour. Elaine and I both have waterproof shoes which for some reason decided they were no longer waterproof. The course is 27 holes and really beautiful. I took lots of pictures and a had a great time despite my squishy shoes. Elaine lost a disc in the river but John fished it out for her...brrrrr! After golf we were starving so Elaine, Dave and I ate lunch at a restaurant in Estacada on the way back home. Back at their house we laid on the sofas exhausted and watched Supertroopers in all it's stupid, funny glory. haha

After showering and running some errands I went back to Gina's to eat leftover spaghetti for dinner (mmmm the sauce was even better the next day) and then Gina and I played some Skip-Bo. So that was my weekend. Please let me know how you are and what you've been doing! I'll post some pictures today including some of dear old Fluff.

xoxo,
carolyn

2 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Betsy said...

I had no IDEA! Carolyn, I just read your post today and heard about Fluffy. I'm so sorry, honey.

I have an incredible number of photographs of Fluffy over the years. I remember hanging out with Carolyn in high school and watching Fluffy get goofy on catnip. It's hard for me to imagine you without her and it makes me sad too. Thanks for sharing photos....I'll see if I can find some of mine (which are probably yours). I love you.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had no idea, Carolyn! I just read the post! oh babydoll, i am soooooooooo sorry! I think all your friends will always carry a mental pic of you and Fluff because it is very hard to imagine you without your buddy. that is just how i think of you, anyway. the photos are beautifulllll----and so are you.....kisses and hugs. V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home